CURRICULUM VITAE AND SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
Dr. Zoccali is a specialist in Renal Diseases (Pisa University) and Hypertension (Hypertension specialist, board certified by the European Society of Hypertension and European Society of Cardiology). He was trained in Internal Medicine (Messina University), Hypertension (Glasgow MRC Blood Pressure Unit) and Clinical Epidemiology.
- Past Director, Division of Nephrology, Hypertension and Renal Transplantation Ospedali Riuniti, Reggio Cal.
- Research Coordinator, CNR-IFC Clinical Epidemiology and Pathophysiology of Renal Diseases and Hypertension.
- National (Italian) Qualification to Full professorship of Nephrology
- Professor of Nephrology at the School of Nephrology (postgraduate) of Palermo University.
Dr. Zoccali received managerial education at the Bocconi University in Milan. He has developed diverse managerial abilities and he served his hospital as Director of Department, the Italian Society of Nephrology (SIN) both as President and Secretary-Treasurer, the ERA EDTA as Chairman of the Registry, Director of NDT and Founding Chair of the EURECA-m working group. He was also the founding Editor of NDT Educational. During his presidency of the SIN he launched the Scientific Fair initiative which raised funds (> 1 million EU) which allowed this society, in collaboration with the national institute of health (Italy), performing the first national CKD survey in this country. Furthermore, he is/ was officer of diverse scientific societies and major journals Boards (see below).
As of April 6th 2017, dr. Zoccali has published over 600 papers in peer-reviewed International Journals indexed in Pubmed. Publications by dr. Zoccali have been quoted 27528 times (12640 from 2012) and at this date the Hirsh index of dr. Zoccali is 81 (Google Scholar). His ResearchGate score 52.36 (higher than 97.5% of all investigators included in ResearchGate).
According to EXPERSCAPE, http://expertscape.com/ex/chronic+kidney+failure, a scoring system for investigators by the John Hopkins University (Baltimore), dr. Zoccali ranks as the first European expert in chronic renal insufficiency (the 4th on a world scale) and as the first European expert in Kidney Failure (the 4th worldwide). In a global ranking for Kidney Diseases, he is listed as the 5th expert on Kidney diseases in Europe (in general) and as the 13th worldwide.
Dr. Zoccali has been invited speaker at all major Nephrology and Hypertension Congress (over 500 lectures and seminars) including the ERA EDTA, The American Society of Nephrology, the International Society of Nephrology, The European Society of Hypertension, the European Society of Cardiology and several major Societies of Nephrology and Hypertension.
- Editorial Board member J Am Soc Nephrology
- Editorial Board Member Hypertension
- Academic editor PlosOne (Public Library of Science, National Institute of Health)
- Associate Editor European Journal of Clinical Investigation
- Editorial Board member Clinical Nephrology
- Editorial Board member Nutrition Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
- Editorial Board Member BMC Nephrology
- Editorial Board member Turkish Nephrology, Dialysis and transplantation Journal
- Editorial Board member Revista Portuguesa de Nefrologia
- Member of the 1000 Faculty, Biomed Central
- Editorial Board member Prevenzione e Terapia Cardiovascolare
- Past Chief Editor Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation (2011-2017)
- Past Editorial Board member Clinical J Am Soc Nephrology (till December 2016)
- Past Editorial Board Member, Kidney International (2006-April 2014)
- Past editorial Board member Journal of Hypertension (2011-2013)
- Past Deputy Editor, Journal of Nephrology
- Past Subject Editor (Hypertension), Nephrology Dialysis and Transplantation (2001-2011)
- Past Editorial Board member J Hypertension
- Past Editor American Journal of Kidney Diseases
- Past editorial Board member Giornale Italiano di Nefrologia (1994-2003).
New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, Circulation, Archives of Internal Medicine, Atherosclerosis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (ATVB), Atherosclerosis, Journal of American Society Nephrol, American Journal of Kidney Disease, Kidney International, Nephrology Dialysis and Transplantation, Hypertension, American Journal of Hypertension, Journal of Hypertension, Blood Pressure.
- President Elect of The ERA EDTA fort the 2017-2020 triennium
- Chairman of the Registry of dialysis and transplantation of the ERA-EDTA (2003-2009)
- Founding chairman of the EUROPEAN CARDIOVASCULAR AND RENAL MEDICINE working group (EURECA-m) (2010-2012)
- Past President of the Italian Society of Nephrology (2007-2008)
- President of the Scientific Committee of the XLIX Congress of the ERA-EDTA (Barcelona 2007)
- Council Member of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association and Renal Association (EDTA-ERA) 2000-2009 and 2011-2017
- Member of the EDTA-ERA paper selection committee (1993-1995, and 1999 on)
- Councillor of the Italian Society of Hypertension 1998-2001
- Secretary Treasurer Italian Society of Nephrology 1997-1998
- Board Member of the Council of the Italian Society of Hypertension (2009-2011)
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Italian Registry of Dialysis and Transplantation (1996-2003) and Chairman of the Calabria’s Regional Dialysis Registry.
- Board of Directors member, Global Guidelines in Nephrology (KDIGO, American Kidney foundation) 2002-2009
- Member of the Faculty of 1000 (BioMed Central)
- Past chairman of the Guidelines of the Italian Society of Nephrology.
Grant review consultancy/refereeing
- British Kidney Foundation
- Scottish Kidney Foundation
- MRC Medical Research Council
- Welcome trust
- Dutch Kidney Foundation
- Consultant to CINECA (the body supervising grants awarded by the Ministry of Research and Education in Italy)
- Past Referee Continuous Medical Education Ministry of Health Italy.
International Awards and honorary membership and fellowships
- International Award of the American Kidney Foundation (2003)
- International G.A. Borelli prize (2004)
- Honorary member of the Polish Society of Nephrology (2007)
- Honorary Member of the Spanish Society of Nephrology (2008)
- Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology (FASN) 2008
- Fellow of the National Kidney Foundation (FNKF) 2010
- Fellow of the European Renal Association and the European Dialysis and Transplantation Society (FERA) 2010
- Dorso Prize (2010).
- European Society of Dialysis and Transplantation and European Renal Association.
- American Society of Nephrology
- International Society of Nephrology
- International Society of Hypertension
- European Society of Hypertension
- American Society of Hypertension
- Societa’ Italiana Nefrologia
- Societa’ Italiana Ipertensione Arteriosa.
LIST OF THE 20 MOST QUOTED PAPERS BY DR. ZOCCALI (Jan 22nd, 2016)
- C Zoccali, SM Bode-Böger, F Mallamaci, FA Benedetto, G Tripepi, … Plasma concentration of asymmetrical dimethylarginine and mortality in patients with end-stage renal disease: a prospective study The Lancet 358 (9299), 2113-2117 2001 citations 907
- C Zoccali, F Mallamaci, G Tripepi, FA Benedetto, S Cutrupi, S Parlongo, … Adiponectin, metabolic risk factors, and cardiovascular events among patients with end-stage renal disease Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 13 (1), 134-141 2002 citations 873
- P Ruggenenti, A Perna, G Gherardi, G Garini, C Zoccali, M Salvadori, … Renoprotective properties of ACE-inhibition in non-diabetic nephropathies with non-nephrotic proteinuria The Lancet 354 (9176), 359-364 1999 citations 788
- F Locatelli, B Canaud, KU Eckardt, P Stenvinkel, C Wanner, C Zoccali, Oxidative stress in end‐stage renal disease: an emerging threat to patient outcome Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 18 (7), 1272-1280 2003 citations 550
- C Zoccali, F Mallamaci, S Parlongo, S Cutrupi, FA Benedetto, G Tripepi, … Plasma norepinephrine predicts survival and incident cardiovascular events in patients with end-stage renal disease Circulation 105 (11), 1354-1359 2002 citations 446
- P Ruggenenti, A Perna, G Loriga, M Ganeva, B Ene-Iordache, M Turturro, C Zoccali, … Blood-pressure control for renoprotection in patients with non-diabetic chronic renal disease (REIN-2): multicentre, randomised controlled trial The Lancet 365 (9463), 939-946 2005 citations 408
- G Enia, C Sicuso, G Alati, C Zoccali, Subjective global assessment of nutrition in dialysis patients Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 8 (10), 1094-1098 1993 citations 363
- C Zoccali, FA Benedetto, R Maas, F Mallamaci, G Tripepi, LS Malatino, … Asymmetric dimethylarginine, C-reactive protein, and carotid intima-media thickness in end-stage renal disease Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 13 (2), 490-496 2002 citations 329
- P Ravani, G Tripepi, F Malberti, S Testa, F Mallamaci, C Zoccali, Vitamin D levels and patient outcome in chronic kidney disease Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 16 (8), 2449-2455 2005 citations 303
- P Ravani, F Malberti, G Tripepi, P Pecchini, S Cutrupi, P Pizzini, Zoccali C, Asymmetrical dimethylarginine predicts progression to dialysis and death in patients with chronic kidney disease: a competing risks modeling approach Kidney international 75 (1), 88-95 2009 citations 303
- F Mallamaci, C Zoccali, G Tripepi, I Fermo, FA Benedetto, A Cataliotti, … Hyperhomocysteinemia predicts cardiovascular outcomes in hemodialysis patients Kidney international 61 (2), 609-614 2002 citations 301
- C Zoccali, F Mallamaci, FA Benedetto, G Tripepi, S Parlongo, A Cataliotti, … Cardiac natriuretic peptides are related to left ventricular mass and function and predict mortality in dialysis patients Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 12 (7), 1508-1515 2001 citations 289
- C Zoccali, FA Benedetto, F Mallamaci, G Tripepi, I Fermo, A Focà, … Inflammation is associated with carotid atherosclerosis in dialysis patients Journal of hypertension 18 (9), 1207-1213 2000 citations 250
- C Zoccali, FA Benedetto, F Mallamaci, G Tripepi, G Giacone, A Cataliotti, … Prognostic impact of the indexation of left ventricular mass in patients undergoing dialysis Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 12 (12), 2768-2774 2001 citations 242
- R Thadhani, E Appelbaum, Y Pritchett, Y Chang, J Wenger, H Tamez, C Zoccali, …Vitamin D therapy and cardiac structure and function in patients with chronic kidney disease: the PRIMO randomized controlled trial Jama 307 (7), 674-684 2012 citations 238
- C Zoccali, FA Benedetto, F Mallamaci, G Tripepi, G Giacone, … Left ventricular mass monitoring in the follow-up of dialysis patients: prognostic value of left ventricular hypertrophy progression Kidney international 65 (4), 1492-1498 2004 citations 220
- F Mallamaci, C Zoccali, F Cuzzola, G Tripepi, S Cutrupi, S Parlongo, C Zoccali, Adiponectin in essential hypertension. Journal of nephrology 15 (5), 507-511 2001 citations 219
- C Zoccali, F Mallamaci, R Maas, FA Benedetto, G Tripepi, LS Malatino, … Left ventricular hypertrophy, cardiac remodeling and asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA) in hemodialysis patients Kidney international 62 (1), 339-345 2002 citations 216
- A Cataliotti, LS Malatino, M Jougasaki, C Zoccali, P Castellino, G Giacone, … Circulating natriuretic peptide concentrations in patients with end-stage renal disease: role of brain natriuretic peptide as a biomarker for ventricular remodeling Mayo Clinic Proceedings 76 (11), 1111-1119 2001 citations 216
- F Perticone, A Sciacqua, R Maio, M Perticone, R Maas, RH Boger, C Zoccali, Asymmetric dimethylarginine, L-arginine, and endothelial dysfunction in essential hypertension Journal of the American College of Cardiology 46 (3), 518-523 2005 citations 208